Monday, September 28, 2009

Ondoy Flood Hits SBB Kitchen, Halts Production

We're not the only victims, I know...but the unbelievably fast-rising flood the typhoon Ondoy brought did quite a damage to our commissary in Rolling Hills Village New Manila and it's devastating. But there's nothing left to do but bounce back from there.

I was in Cagayan de Oro for a video shoot (for one of my sideline projects) while the whole submerging of tita Ces' ground floor, which also happens to be the commissary of Supreme Brazo Bars, happened. I was only informed through text and boy was I panicky. I was also worried about my own family, my 2-year old Jaira and my husband Raffy, even my mom and brothers who lived in an apartment along Mindanao Avenue. Thank goodness I got confirmation that our house in Philam Homes, Quezon City was safe from the killer flood... but it's just sad that tita Ces' house was not spared.

Production was stopped completely. All our three ovens were submerged in water, the chillers, the ingredients, the mixers. Even the antique piano of my lola that was placed in the living room was sent floating and bobbing on the water that was already chest-high by the time tita Ces, her kids and everyone in the house decided it was no use trying to save any more furniture or appliances. They just went up the second floor of the house and sought help. The water was rising fast they were all scared of drowning.

With the help of friends, tita Ces reached the water rescue people. Moments later into the horrific waiting on the second floor while the water rose, the rescue team came aboard rubber boats and helped tita Ces and everyone get out of the house from the terrace. For two days they stayed at my uncle-lolo's place at 14th street.

We still had something to sell at our store come Sunday, and then nothing come Monday as well as today. Because at that time, even as the water subsided, we were cleaning the house of all the mud and muck, trying to recover anything that could still be used. All the ovens and chillers and most of the baking equipment and tools are not usable anymore. We were able to revive one oven though, the one that used to belong to my late dad, and one refrigerator that was intended for home use. But at least we could start production from there.

We can only thank God nothing beyond the submerging of the whole 1st floor happened. I mean, it pretty much wiped out our business investment, what with the commissary being the heart of the business...but we're still thankful that tita Ces, her three kids and all of our staff who were there that day were alive and well. Our hearts go out to other victims of the tragic flood that hit Quezon City, Marikina, Rizal and other places. We will keep praying for all of you, for all of us.

No comments:

Post a Comment